Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup & Roasted Butternut Squash Seeds

I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious. Even my 8 month old son loved it! (Unless you're having a lot of people over for a meal, there will be plenty left over to freeze for a future meal). I actually found this recipe on the Food Network website, but I tweaked it a bit.

1 butternut squash, peeled
nutmeg (I tried it without a preferred it that way, but added it anyway to see if it enhanced the taste. My husband preferred it with the nutmeg though)
2 tablespoons of unsalted margarine
salt and pepper (Again, I liked it without, my husband preferred it with -- either way it's delicious though)
1 onion, chopped
6 cups of veggie stock

Cut squash into one inch chunks. In a large pot melt margarine. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer until squash is tender. Remove squash chunks with a slotted spoon and blend it. (Our blender is breaking so there were still plenty of chunks left in. I thought it was actually nice to have the varying textures.) Return blended squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper (if you so please).

I looked up online to see if the seeds in the butternut squash were edible and it turns out they were. I cleaned off the seeds. Dried them as much as possible. Sprayed a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Layed out the seeds evenly and sprinkled with salt. (You can sprinkle it with pretty much anything you think might taste good -- cajun powder, garlic salt, cheese powder, etc). Put it in the oven on 350 for about 30 minutes. (I didn't really time it. Just waited until I could smell it.

No comments: